Monday, October 01, 2007

Books, books and more books

So, my wife and I finally got some time to get away from the kids and roll off into the sunset for a weekend of relaxation. We had been told about a used bookstore in Hickory and thought that would be a good place to visit. Now, let me tell you about my little problem. I LOVE books. My house smells like a library and it's better than any perfume on the planet. I have 4,500 books in my house and every chance I get, I buy more. Why? Because I'm a book whore. I've read nearly all the books in my house (barring the ones I just purchased) and it's comforting to know they are all mine. With the advent of the internet and audio and e-books, print media will soon disappear, print books included. Maybe not in my lifetime, but someday. So, I see myself (and the wife does too) as an orphanage for books. Mostly very old and first editions, but a lot of paperbacks as well. We're not picky in what we buy, except romance books. What a waste of good trees for that drivel.

So anyway, we hit the book store and man was it awesome. My wife is a teacher and they had a teacher specific sale on, 30 books for various ages and reading levels for $5. So, my wife being the teacher she is, bought 12 boxes. Everything they had. In all we got about 450 books for about $150. It was a fantastic way to spend a weekend with my wife. Something we haven't done in a long, long time.

No comments: